The Bangladesh Cricket Board on Saturday added another twist to the never ending saga of Sakib al Hasan by picking him to the squad for the first Test against West Indies barely three days after he resumed training.
Sakib was believed to be sidelined for about three months once he underwent an emergency surgery in Dhaka on September 27 after he aggravated his finger injury during the Asia Cup UAE.
Physicians in Dhaka’s Apollo Hospital extracted 60-70 millimetres pus from his injured finger before the player had suggested that if he had waited a day or two it would have completely spoilt his career.
Sakib later feared that his finger might never return to its original shape, though he was expecting to make a comeback to the field with the Bangladesh Premier League in January.
Things started changing rapidly after Sakib requested for the No Objection Certificate to play a Twenty20 tournament in UAE, something that left the BCB officials shocked.
The BCB officials calmed down once Sakib assured them that he was recovering fast and might even play for the national team at some stage of the home series against West Indies.
Sakib resumed his training only Wednesday but he was still unsure when he could actually make his comeback to the national team.
‘It [his return to cricket] can’t be rushed. That’s the first thing. In a few days I’ll understand what is going to happen,’ Sakib had told reporters at Mirpur after his first training session since surgery.
Incidentally Sakib did not get a chance to train further before he was cleared to play the first Test against West Indies.
BCB’s chief physician Debashish Chowdhury said they believed Sakib is now fit and should face no problem in taking the field in the first Test against West Indies, starting on November 22.
‘As he is fit to play cricket, he is picked for the squad. From our point, it is okay for him. And the rest depends on Sakib,’ Debashish told New Age.
In clear contradiction to the claim made by the Apollo authorities, who in a statement on September 30 said that they had conducted an operation on Sakib’s finger with two hours after his arrival to the hospital, Debashish argued that he had no surgery at all.
‘No surgery took place at that time. Only pus from his finger was released. He had infections at that time and his mental and physical strength was not good at all,’ said Debashish.
‘He made a quick recovery. He had done blood tests many times. His antibiotic course was already over last week,’ added the BCB physician.
Debashish, however, had no guarantee that the awkward saga involving his participation in different series and tournaments throughout the year would not be repeated.
‘We have tested his blood samples two times in recent times. There is no sign of infection in his blood. But in last time also, there were no infections till it suddenly became threatening. For now he has no infection in his blood,’ he said.
Timeline of Sakib al Hasan injury
Jan 27: Sakib injured his left little finger during a tri-series ODI against Sri Lanka in Dhaka and was ruled out for final for the tournament and subsequent Test series
Feb 10: Sakib returned to the squad for the two-match Twenty20 series against Sri Lanka
Feb 13: Sakib was ruled out for Sri Lanka T20s
March 3: Sakib was ruled out for Nidahas Trophy Twenty20 tournament
March 15: Sakib was added to Nidahas trophy squad
Aug 9: Sakib hinted that he might skip Asia Cup upon Bangladesh team’s arrival from West Indies
August 30: Sakib named in the squad for Asia Cup in UAE
Sept 26: Sakib missed Asia Cup match against Pakistan
Sept 26: Sakib returned home on the same night Bangladesh played against Pakistan in UAE
Sept 27: Sakib underwent an emergency surgery in Dhaka’s Apollo Hospital
Oct 5: Sakib said his finger might never return to its original shape while travelling to Australia for treatment
Nov 17: Sakib returned to the squad for first Test against West Indies
Want stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up to exclusive daily email
More Stories from Cricket