ASIAN CENTRAL VOLLEYBALL

Hosts suffer first defeat

Staff Correspondent | Published: 22:36, Dec 25,2016

 
 

Bangladesh and Kyrgyzstan players are seen in action during their Bangabandhu Asian Senior Men’s Central Zone International Volleyball Championship match at the Shaheed Suhrawardi Indoor Stadium on Sunday. — New Age photo

Hosts Bangladesh suffered their first defeat in the Bangabandhu Asian Senior Men’s Central Zone International Volleyball Championship when they lost to favourites Kyrgyzstan by 2-3 sets on Sunday.
In a highly competitive match, the hosts made brilliant comeback twice to level the margin but lost the final set by 15-13 points in front of a jam-packed gallery of the Shaheed Suhrawardi Indoor Stadium.
Bangladesh, who won their first two matches against Afghanistan and Nepal, lost the first set against Kyrgyzstan by 25-23 points.
The men in Red and Green bounced back in the second winning it by 25-23 points before Kyrgyzstan won the third set by the same margin.
In a bizarre match, first four sets were decided with same margin with Bangladesh winning the fourth one to take the contest into tie-breaker, where Kyrgyzstan managed a narrow two-point win becoming the first team to move into the final.
The other finalists will be decided today among Bangladesh, Nepal and Maldives as both Bangladesh and Nepal have six points each while Maldives have three points.
Bangladesh will take on Maldives today while Nepal will play against Kyrgyzstan.
Meanwhile, in the first match of the day, Maldives registered their first victory of the tournament against Afghanistan.
The match had to remain suspended for about half-an-hour after fire broke out from a short circuit inside the stadium.
The game resumed after the fire service team put the things under control.
Bangladesh Volleyball Federation general secretary Ashikur Rahman Miku refused to make any comment over the incident.
‘National Sports Council is the right authority to give the answer,’ he said.
Abdullah Al Arefin, senior station officer of Fire Services, disclosed the actual reason behind the fire.
‘Due to excessive heat, two bulbs of the stadium caught fire but we took necessary steps.’ 

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email

Advertisement

images

 

Advertisement

images