The disciplinary committee of Bangladesh Cricket Board on Saturday recommended a six-month ban for batsman Sabbir Rahman from international cricket for abusing a fan on Facebook during recent series against West Indies.
However, the committee spared Nasir Hossain for the time being despite the players’ troubled personal relationship was exposed in Facebook.
‘We recommended a six-month suspension on Sabbir from international cricket,’ BCB director Ismail Haider Mallick told reporters after the end of the disciplinary hearing at Mirpur.
‘We will now send the recommendation to our president. Subject to his approval the ban will be effective from tomorrow [Sunday].’
The BCB earlier called three cricketers in a hearing for the disciplinary issues but only Sabbir and Mosaddek Hossain turned up as Nasir was spared due to injury.
‘We may call him [Nasir] in future. But he did not come now as he was already out of the squad due to injury,’ said Haider.
Sabbir, who was axed from the Bangladesh squad for Asia Cup last week, recently completed his six-month ban from domestic cricket for assaulting a minor boy during a domestic first-class match in Rajshahi.
While serving his domestic ban Sabbir kept coming on the headlines for wrong reasons by hitting team-mate Mehedi Hasan during a Twenty20 series match against Afghanistan in June and abusing a fan in Facebook last month.
The 26-year old cricketer was also denied a national contract along with a fine of Tk 20 lakh in January this year along with the six-month domestic ban.
In 2016, he was fined 30 per cent of his BPL contract money for taking a female guest into his hotel room.
Haider revealed that despite being accused of multiple disciplinary breaches, the recommendation of Sabbir’s six-month ban was taken only because of his recent Facebook incident.
‘He [Sabbir] claimed his account was hacked but admitted some other things. We have also given him some instructions,’ said the BCB director.
‘He was regretful. He promised not to do anything like this in future and also admitted several things,’ he added.
Haider believed this was the biggest punishment that they could only give Sabbir after his domestic ban, fine, and contract denial.
‘Till date his punishment was fine and six-month ban (in domestic cricket). The ban in international cricket is bigger than this. If he repeats the offence he will be given bigger punishment,’ he said.
Sabbir, along with Mossadek Hossain, who was alleged for seeking Tk 10 lakh as dowry from his wife, attended the disciplinary committee hearings.
Sabbir’s international ban came at a time when he was already out of national team and with no domestic cricket anytime soon he is unlikely to make a quick comeback.
A bigger punishment was expected, especially after BCB’s repeated promise of zero tolerance against disciplinary breaches. But Hiders believes a punishment like ‘three-year ban for a Facebook rant’ could be harsh on the players.
The BCB also decided to slow with Mosaddek Hossain leaving him with a warning.
‘He [Mosaddek] was asked to be cautious about his behaviour in future. His case is a family matter. We have to wait until court gives a decision,’ said Haider.
Want stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up to exclusive daily email
More Stories from Cricket