Korean archer refuses to celebrate gold
A South Korean archer refused to celebrate bagging a gold medal at the Asian Games after his second-placed compatriot missed a final chance to win an exemption for military service. Kim Woo-jin, 26, brushed off a strong challenge from Lee Woo-seok in the men’s individual recurve on Tuesday, where top spot would have exempted the 21-year-old from South Korea’s mandatory near two-year military service. But Kim -- the reigning Olympic champion in the recurve men’s team -- diplomatically claimed the Lee’s military predicament wasn’t on his mind as he declined to wave the national flag in celebration. ‘Whether it was the military situation or anything else not related to the competition, I wasn’t thinking about that,’ Kim said, according to South Korea’s Yonhap news agency. ‘It was just tough to beat someone that I know so well after months of training together.’ Lee’s situation mirrors that of South Korea’s Son Heung-min, the Tottenham Hotspur forward who is gunning for gold in the football to gain a military service exemption. Lee, who has already completed part of his service and is scheduled to be discharged next year, said he was disappointed but ‘the military isn’t all bad’, according to Yonhap. ‘I’ll go back and serve the country the best I can,’ he added.
Japan basketball players suspended after buying sex
Four Japanese basketball players kicked out of the Asian Games for paying prostitutes for sex will be suspended for a year, officials said Wednesday. Japan Basketball Association chief Yuko Mitsuya told reporters the players would be barred from official tournaments for a year, adding their action ‘damages the honour and trust of Japan’s sporting world’. They would be allowed to take part in training, however, Mitsuya added. The players were spotted in a notorious red light district of the Indonesian capital Jakarta wearing their national jerseys and were promptly sent home in disgrace. The expulsion of Yuya Nagayoshi, Takuya Hashimoto, Takuma Sato and Keita Imamura came as a major embarrassment for Japan, which is gearing up for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. ‘I deeply apologise for our careless actions that have brought disgrace on not only basketball fans but also all Japanese people,’ Sato told a news conference last week after the four returned to Tokyo.
Want stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up to exclusive daily email
More Stories from Miscellany