Female entrepreneur arrested for spreading ‘rumour’

Staff Correspondent | Published: 00:31, Aug 18,2018 | Updated: 01:46, Aug 18,2018


A 28-year-old female small entrepreneur Faria Mahjabin, who was arrested in Dhaka Thursday night allegedly for provocative posts and spreading rumours on social media Facebook during the recent student protests for safe roads, was placed on a three-day remand in police custody for interrogation.
Metropolitan magistrate AKM Mainuddin Siddiqui granted the remand after sub-inspector Majedul Islam of Hazaribagh Police Station produced her before the court on Friday in a case lodged with the police station by a RAB official on Friday morning, seeking a seven-day remand in police custody for interrogation, said Makbul Ahmed, general recording officer in the court for Hazaribagh police station.
He said that Faria had no lawyer to defend her during the remand hearing in the case under Information and Technology Act.
An official of Dhaka Metropolitan Police’s Ramna Zone, who was involved in the investigation process, told New Age that Mahjabin, one of owners of Nerdy Beans Coffee House at capital’s Dhanmondi, videoed the student protests at Hazaribagh and Jigatala and circulated it through social media.
Asked what ‘crimes’ did she committed by circulating it, the police officer said she used it to spread rumour. He, however, declined to detail what Mahjabin actually posted in social media to spread ‘rumour’.
Majedul, investigation officer of the case, told New Age that they had taken Mahjabin to the police station and her interrogation would begin today.
RAB officials said a RAB-2 team arrested Faria, wife of Md Riasat, of Hazi Afsar Uddin Road under Hazaribagh in capital’s West Dhanmondi area, from her residence in a drive around 10:45pm on Thursday and seized a mobile phone from her possession.
Faria was arrested in the backdrop of arrests of over 100 activists and university students who supported the recent nine-day countrywide students’ protests demanding safe roads and ending traffic anarchy since July 29 sparked by the killing of two teen students by a reckless bus at Kurmitola in the capital.
The student protests abruptly came to an end on August 6 amid joint attacks by police and ruling Awami League men on the protesters and journalists and arrests of university students for supporting the movement.
The police claimed that the arrestees were involved either ‘in vandalism and attacks on police’ or ‘instigated the protests by spread “rumour”’ in a bid to divert the protest to different direction.
On August 13, Dhaka Metropolitan Police launched stringent legal procedure against 150 profiles for their alleged involvement on social media, especially Facebook to create anarchy in recent student’s movement, the metropolitan police officials said. 

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email