Death toll in suicide attack on Afghan students revised down to 34

Reuters . Kabul | Published: 13:03, Aug 16,2018

 
 

Afghan policemen arrive at the site of an attack in Kabul, Afghanistan, August 16, 2018. — Reuters photo

Afghan authorities revised down on Thursday the death toll from a suicide bomb attack on an educational centre in Kabul to 34 from 48, health ministry officials said.

Some bodies had been double-counted when they were being taken to hospital from the blast site following the attack on Wednesday, the ministry said.

The injury toll was revised to 56 from 67.

Most of the victims were students preparing for university entrance exams in a classroom at the Mawoud Academy in an area of west Kabul where many members of the city’s mainly Shi’ite Hazara community live.

Investigators said the bomber entered the centre from a rear entrance and made his way into a classroom where more than 100 students had gathered.

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email

Advertisement

images

 

Advertisement

images