The National Human Rights Commission on Thursday sent a letter to the health ministry requesting action against the persons, who denied treatment to injured demonstrators seeking reform in quota system in government jobs.
In the letter, the NHRC officials said they called on the health ministry to take punitive action against the people concerned over the issue.
The ministry was also requested to warn the hospital management so that they would not abuse the rights of an individual granted by the constitution.
‘Denial of treatment at the hospital is a rights violation. It’s not only for the quota reform activists but for others, it is a violation,’ said the NHRC chairman, Kazi Reazul Hoque, adding, ‘We wrote to the health ministry seeking information about the violation that had already reported in various media.’
The commission camp up with the decision on Tuesday days after the brutal attack on Tariqul Islam, a joint convener of Bangladesh General Students’ Rights Protection Council, in Rajshahi on July 2 and Nurul Hoque Nuru, also a joint convener of the council, in Dhaka on June 30.
Over the months, the council had been pressing for reducing the quota in government jobs to 10 per cent from the existing 56 per cent.
Tariqul was given primary treatment and driven out of the hospital in Rajshahi while Nurul was released from Anwar Khan Medical Hospital in Dhaka.
Tariqul is now undergoing treatment in Dhaka as his condition deteriorated.
Rights group Ain O Salish Kendra and Odhikar in separate statements also demanded that the government took action against those who attacked Tariqul Islam and injured others in Dhaka and Rajshahi, and ensure his better treatment.
The rights bodies expressed deep concern over the attacks and repression on quota reformists as well as the ‘refusal’ of government medical college hospitals to provide treatment to the injured activists.
Asif Nazrul, a law teacher at Dhaka University, said the denial of treatment was a crime as the victims were denied their basic rights.
One of the protestors, Ataullah, said they were forced to leave the hospital on June 30 after first aid treatment, while protesters complained that the hospital authorities, being instructed from higher authorities, asked them to leave the hospitals.
Want stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up to exclusive daily email
More Stories from Country