One hundred and twenty-one eminent citizens have demanded an end to ‘planned killing without trial’ in the name of ongoing anti-narcotics drive and punishment of perpetrators of the so-called drive.
Eminent citizens including politicians, academics, writers, lawyers and cultural activists under the banner of National Committee against Fascism and Imperialism also alleged ‘government is carrying out the anti-narcotic drive to cover up its misrule and loot and to spread fear in society’.
‘We demand an immediate end to cold-blooded murders with political purposes. The anti-narcotic drive was against international law and justice system’ said a statement of the national committee.
The government launched anti-drug substance drive on May 15 and so far over 150 suspected narcotics peddlers were killed in ‘gunfight’ with law enforcement agencies.
Thousands of suspected drug peddler and user were arrested across the country during the time.
‘More than 150 people were killed by the Rapid Action Battalion and the police without any trial from the middle of May across the country which is still continuing. We strongly condemn such planned killings,’ the statement reads.
The eminent citizens in the statement said they were deeply concerned and could see that there were no actions against ‘main perpetrators of drug business as well as sponsored politicians and personnel from different forces’ during the so-called ‘war on drugs substances’.
They demanded punishment of the planners and implementers of these killings.
‘In the name of announcing zero tolerance against crimes, the state has created scope leaving the country for a convicted criminal by commuting his punishment’.
‘It placed no trial for unprecedented corruptions and lootings, took no legal steps against the law enforcers involved in drug dealing that has exposed the hypocritical stand of the government before the people,’ it says.
They demanded that the government immediately publish a list along with full names and addresses of each killed person in the anti-drug drives, ensuring all the democratic rights of citizens along with security of their lives and basic rights.
Along with others politicians, Jatiya Mukti Council president Badruddin Umar, chief coordinator of Jatiya Gana Front Tipu Biswas, Socialist Party of Bangladesh fraction general secretary Khalequzzaman, Revolutionary Workers Party general secretary Saiful Haque, United People’s Democratic Front president Prasit Bikash Khisha, Jatiya Mukti Council secretary Faizul Hakim, issued the statement.
Engineer Sheikh Muhammad Shahidullah, Gonoshasthaya Kendra trustee Zafrullah Chowdhury, professor emeritus Serajul Islam Choudhury, professors Akmal Hossain, Ahmed Kamal, Nurul Islam Helali, Anu Muhammad, Nasim Akhter Hossain, Giti Ara Nasreen, Azfar Hossain, writer Noor Mohammad, Khequzzaman Ilias, columnist Rahnuma Ahmed, lawyer Jyotirmoy Barua, Bhulan Bhowmik, photographer Shahidul Alam and others issued the statement.
Want stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up to exclusive daily email
More Stories from Country