Civilians flee as regime shelling on south Syria

Agence France-Presse . Beirut | Published: 00:00, Jun 22,2018

 
 

A Syrian child from the northern city of Manbij, displaced by fighting between the Syrian Democratic Forces and Islamic State group fighters, stands next to a barrel outside a mud-brick dwelling at Al-Qadi camp for the displaced, about 30 kilometres north of Manbij, on Wednesday. — AFP photo

Thousands of civilians have fled ‘intensified’ regime bombardments of rebel-held areas in southern Syria in the past three days, a monitor said Thursday, as fears mount of a full-blown assault.
President Bashar al-Assad has set his sights on retaking rebel-controlled parts of southern Syria, whether through negotiations or a military operation, and has been amassing troops there in recent weeks.
So far, no deal has been struck to avert fighting over the southern opposition stronghold that borders Jordan and the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.
On Thursday, a Britain-based war monitor said the regime had ramped up its bombardment of Daraa province, leading thousands to flee for their lives.
‘More than 12,000 civilians have fled their homes in the last three days after regime forces intensified their shelling and air strikes on eastern’ Daraa, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitor said.
The civilians fleeing areas including Nahta, Al-Herak and Basr al-Harir were ‘heading to nearby villages under rebel control not affected by the bombardment near the Jordanian border’ to the south, Observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman said.
Opposition fighters control around two-thirds of Daraa, which borders Jordan, but the regime holds a sliver of territory in the centre of the province.
The Islamic State jihadist group also holds a pocket of ground in the province.
The areas in eastern Daraa bombarded in recent days lie on a strip of land flanked by regime-held territory to the east and west.
A media activist in Basr al-Harir said thousands had escaped their homes in areas near his village.
‘Entire villages have fled,’ Mohammad Ibrahim said.
The UN humanitarian coordination office reported that 2,500 people had fled one of these areas, Nahta, as of Wednesday.
OCHA said the United Nations was ‘concerned about reports of an escalation of violence in Daraa... which is endangering civilians and causing hundreds of families to become displaced’.
Daraa is largely considered to be the birthplace of the Syrian uprising in 2011 that eventually spiralled into civil war after a brutal crackdown, and the regime retaking it would be a symbolic victory.
State news agency SANA, using its customary term for rebels, said the army was shelling positions of ‘terrorists’ in Al-Herak and Basr al-Harir on Thursday, and had killed a number of them.

 

In the neighbouring province of Sweida to the east, two civilians were killed on Thursday in rebel bombardment of the provincial capital of the same name, SANA said.
After a string of military victories against rebels earlier this year near Damascus, the regime has turned its attention to ousting rebels from areas of southern Syria.
These include parts of Daraa and the neighbouring province of Quneitra to the west, which is largely controlled by rebels and borders the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.
Daraa, Quneitra and Sweida are included in a ‘de-escalation zone’ agreed by the United States, Russia and neighbour Jordan last year.
Last week, the US State Department warned Damascus against any military action in the de-escalation zone.
In an interview with Iran’s Al-Alam television channel also last week, Syria’s Assad said contacts were ongoing between Russia, the United States and Israel over the southern front.
‘We are giving the political talks a chance, but if they fail, there will be no choice but liberation by force,’ he said.
The regime has retaken large parts of Syria from the opposition since Russia intervened militarily on its side in 2015.
Earlier this year, Assad scored a major victory by retaking the former rebel bastion of Eastern Ghouta outside Damascus, after a blistering assault and a string of so-called evacuation deals.
That regime blitz displaced tens of thousands of civilians.
Syria’s war has killed more than 350,000 people and displaced millions since it started in 2011 with the brutal repression of anti-regime protests.

 

Assad presses assault in southwest, civilians flee
Reuters . Beirut
Syrian government forces pounded rebel-held areas of the southwest with artillery on Thursday, in a steady escalation by president Bashar al-Assad who has vowed to win back the area bordering Jordan and the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said 12,500 civilians had fled the town of Busra al-Hariri and nearby areas of Deraa province in the last two days. Rebel officials gave conflicting assessments of the scale of displacement.
A major government offensive in the southwest risks further escalating the seven-year-old war. The United States has warned it would take ‘firm and appropriate measures’ in response to government violations of a ‘de-escalation’ deal it brokered with Russia last year to contain the conflict in the southwest.
The conflict has pivoted towards the southwest since Assad, with critical help from his Russian and Iran-backed allies, crushed the last remaining pockets of rebel-held territory near Damascus and the city of Homs.
Although he has vowed to win back the area, a military campaign to recover it is set to be complicated by the interests of both US-allied Jordan and Israel, which is deeply alarmed by Iran’s role in Syria.
While Syrian government forces have deployed artillery in the attacks so far, there have been few air strikes. Air power has been critical in helping Assad defeat rebels in places such as Aleppo and eastern Ghouta.
The Syrian state news agency SANA said the army was carrying out ‘focused artillery strikes’ on militant positions in the towns of al-Harak and Busra al-Harir. State media said rockets fired by rebels from the Deraa area had killed two people in the government-held city of Sweida to the east.
A rebel commander, Colonel Nassim Abu Arra, commander of the Youth of Sunna Forces, said government forces seemed intent on capturing Busra al-Harir and the surronding area, where he said shelling had escalated to a degree.
Abu Bakr al-Hassan, spokesman for another southern rebel group, Jaish al-Thawra, described the shelling in that area as heavy. ‘The civilians are afraid that the random bombardment is the start of a campaign the regime and the Iranian militias have been planning to launch in the south,’ he said.
The United Nations was ‘concerned about reports of an escalation of violence in Deraa governorate’, which was ‘endangering civilians and displacing hundreds of families’, Jens Laerke, the UN humanitarian spokesman in Geneva, said.
Assad said earlier this month the government, at Russia’s suggestion, was seeking to strike a deal in the southwest similar to agreements that have restored its control of other areas through withdrawals of rebel forces.
But he also said there had been no results yet and blamed ‘Israeli and American interference’.
He said the territory would be recovered by force if necessary. Rebels have vowed not to surrender ‘an inch’ of the territory to Assad, one of their commanders said this week.

 

Assad presses assault in southwest
Thousands flee regime shelling on south Syria
Reuters . Beirut
Syrian government forces pounded rebel-held areas of the southwest with artillery on Thursday, in a steady escalation by president Bashar al-Assad who has vowed to win back the area bordering Jordan and the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said 12,500 civilians had fled the town of Busra al-Hariri and nearby areas of Deraa province in the last two days. Rebel officials gave conflicting assessments of the scale of displacement.
A major government offensive in the southwest risks further escalating the seven-year-old war. The United States has warned it would take ‘firm and appropriate measures’ in response to government violations of a ‘de-escalation’ deal it brokered with Russia last year to contain the conflict in the southwest.
The conflict has pivoted towards the southwest since Assad, with critical help from his Russian and Iran-backed allies, crushed the last remaining pockets of rebel-held territory near Damascus and the city of Homs.
Although he has vowed to win back the area, a military campaign to recover it is set to be complicated by the interests of both US-allied Jordan and Israel, which is deeply alarmed by Iran’s role in Syria.
While Syrian government forces have deployed artillery in the attacks so far, there have been few air strikes. Air power has been critical in helping Assad defeat rebels in places such as Aleppo and eastern Ghouta.
The Syrian state news agency SANA said the army was carrying out ‘focused artillery strikes’ on militant positions in the towns of al-Harak and Busra al-Harir.
A rebel commander, Colonel Nassim Abu Arra, commander of the Youth of Sunna Forces, said government forces seemed intent on capturing that area, where he said shelling had escalated to a degree.
Abu Bakr al-Hassan, spokesman for another southern rebel group, Jaish al-Thawra, described the shelling in that area as heavy. ‘The civilians are afraid that the random bombardment is the start of a campaign the regime and the Iranian militias have been planning to launch in the south,’ he told Reuters.
The United Nations was ‘concerned about reports of an escalation of violence in Deraa governorate’, which was ‘endangering civilians and displacing hundreds of families’, Jens Laerke, the UN humanitarian spokesman in Geneva, said.
Assad said earlier this month the government, at Russia’s suggestion, was seeking to strike a deal in the southwest similar to agreements that have restored its control of other areas through withdrawals of rebel forces.
But he also said there had been no results yet and blamed ‘Israeli and American interference’.
He said the territory would be recovered by force if necessary. Rebels have vowed not to surrender ‘an inch’ of the territory to Assad, one of their commanders said this week.

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email

Advertisement

images

 

Advertisement

images