Bangladesh govt slammed for not bringing Langadu attackers to justice

Staff Correspondent | Published: 00:21, Jun 07,2018 | Updated: 01:22, Jun 07,2018

 
 

Several NGOs, including Bangladesh Adivasi Forum, hold a discussion in Dhaka on Wednesday on the government’s assurance to construct houses for the victims of sectarian conflict at Langadu of Rangamati nearly a year ago. — New Age photo

Speakers at a discussion on Wednesday slammed the authorities for not taking any appropriate step to punish the perpetrators who designed and executed the attack on ethnic minority people at Langadu in Rangamati a year back.
Demanding punishments for the perpetrators, they also said that the state even failed to address the victims as humans and did not provide compensation to them even after one year of the incident.
They were addressing the discussion arranged by rights groups Bangladesh Indigenous Peoples Forum, Jana Udyog, Institute for Environment and Development and Kapaeeng Foundation in Dhaka marking one year of Langadu attack that took place on June 2 last year.
On that day, a septuagenarian woman was burnt to death as about 300 houses of ethnic minority people were set ablaze allegedly by Bengali settlers at villages of Langadu. After the attack, panicked ethnic minority people of the villages fled to hilly jungles fearing further attacks.
Speaking at the event, the dead septuagenarian Gunamala Chakma’s daughter Kalashona Chakma said that she was not confident whether they would ever get justice for her mother.
‘The administration and law enforcement agencies were not taking my mother’s death seriously and doing dilly-dally in investigating her death,’ she alleged.
Oikya NAP president Pankaj Bhattacharjee said that the incident was a ‘shame’ for the nation.
He also criticised government officials for not providing Tk 5 lakh to each affected family for building houses even after one year of the incident.
He demanded punishments for perpetrators and the implementation of the CHT Accord.
Columnist Syed Abul Maksud demanded an extension of the relief programme for the victims from one year to three years.
‘The damages to the poor people on that day could take three years to overcome,’ he said.
The veteran journalist also urged the government to implement the CHT Accord, which he thought could resolve conflicts in the region.
In a written statement, Kapaeeng Foundation executive director Pallab Chakma said that the government and the ruling party made many promises to the victims of Langadu attack but most of those still remained in paper.
He demanded withdrawal of all the ‘false cases’ against ethnic minority people, implementation of the CHT Accord, giving relief for three years to the victims and providing the pledged amount for rebuilding the houses and punishments for perpetrators.
The discussion was chaired by Mustaq Hossain. Bangladesh Indigenous Peoples Forum general secretary Sanjeeb Drong also spoke. 

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email

Advertisement

images

 

Advertisement

images