Sakib pulls out from World XI

Staff Correspondent | Published: 00:05, May 17,2018 | Updated: 01:16, May 17,2018

 
 

Bangladesh all-rounder Sakib Al Hasan has pulled out his name from the ICC World XI for charity match against West Indies at Lord’s later this month, the Marylebone Cricket Club said on Wednesday.
The match will be played at Lord’s on May 31 and all the proceeds will be used to redevelop the stadia in the Caribbean which were damaged due to hurricanes last year.
Sakib was expected to join his Bangladesh team-mate Tamim Iqbal in the World XI, which also featured Afghanistan’s Rashid Khan, Pakistan’s Shahid Afridi and Shoaib Malik and Sri Lanka’s Thisara Perera among others.
‘Sakib al Hasan has withdrawn from the match due to personal reasons and his replacement will be announced soon,’ the MCC said in a statement.
Bangladesh chief selector Minhajul Abedin said Sakib pulled out his name from the match to avoid fatigue.
‘He is scheduled to play in IPL [Indian Premier League] until May 27. Then we also have series against Afghanistan next month. It has become difficult for him to play this game,’ he said.
Sakib played every game for Sunrisers Hyderabad, who are currently on top in IPL points table.
They are also favourites to lift the title after wining highest nine matches so far in the campaign, with Sakib making vital contributions both with bat and ball.
The all-rounder is then expected to lead Bangladesh in three-match Twenty20 international series against Afghanistan from June 3 to June 7 in India.
England’s limited overs captain Eoin Morgan will lead the World XI while Carlos Brathwaite has been chosen as captain of West Indies team that boasts the presence of Chris Gayle, Marlon Samuels, Samuel Badree and Andre Russell. 

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email

Advertisement

images

 

Advertisement

images