Sakib pulls out from World XI

Staff Correspondent | Published: 19:28, May 16,2018

 
 

Sakib Al Hasan

Bangladesh all-rounder Sakib Al Hasan has withdrawn his name from the ICC World XI for a fund raiser against West Indies at Lord’s, officials said on Wednesday.

The match will be played at Lord’s on May 31 and all the proceeds will be used to redevelop the stadia in the Caribbean which were damaged due to hurricanes last year.

Sakib was expected to join his Bangladesh team-mate Tamim Iqbal in the World XI, which also featured a host of Asian stars.

Marylebone Cricket Club, the organiser of the game in a statement confirmed Sakib’s withdrawal and said his replacement will be announced soon in due course

Bangladesh chief selector Minhajul Abedin said Sakib pulled out his name from the match to avoid fatigue.

‘He is scheduled to play in IPL (Indian Premier League) until May 27. Then we also have series against Afghanistan next month.  It has become difficult for him to play this game,’ he said.

Sakib played every game for Sunrisers Hyderabad, who are currently on top in IPL points table.

They are also favourites to lift the title after wining highest nine matches so far in the campaign, with Sakib making vital contributions both with bat and ball.

The all-rounder is then expected to lead Bangladesh in three-match Twenty20 international series against Afghanistan from June 3 to June 7 in India.

 

 

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email

Advertisement

images

 

Advertisement

images