At least two workers of a leather industry at Hemayetpur of Savar, on the outskirts of the capital, died inhaling poisonous gases on Wednesday.
The victims Md Hasan Miah, 25, and Mahbub Miah, 50, were workers of Prince Leather Industries Ltd, said DMCH police outpost in-charge Bacchu Miah.
Critically sick another worker, Moazzem Hossain, was undergoing treatment at Dhaka Medical College Hospital.
Workers of the factory said that the victims were working at an underground water container where different types of chemicals were mixed for washing hide and skin and at one point they fell ill.
Workers suspected that the deaths were due to toxic gases created by chemical reaction.
Hasan died at Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College and Hospital around 3:00pm one hour after the incident while Mahbub died around 5:00pm at DMCH.
Officer-in-charge of Savar Model Police Station Mohsinul Kadir said that the factory management went into hiding after the incident.
Want stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up to exclusive daily email
More Stories from Country