The United Nations on Friday appealed for $951 million to assist Rohingyas in Bangladesh and host community members till December while one-fourth of funding it had appealed for September 2017-February 2018 period remained unmet.
Refugee relief and repatriation commissioner Mohammad Abul Kalam said that about one-fourth of the $951 million would be set aside for host communities in Cox’s Bazar.
Inter Sector Coordination Group, a combine of UN agencies and international humanitarian groups operating in Rohingya crisis, in a statement on Friday said that there were challenges ahead, including overcrowded camps, gender-based violence and public health concerns like outbreak of measles, diphtheria, diarrhoea and other infectious diseases.
Possible early rains in a few weeks may cause landslides, flash floods and disease outbreaks after which cyclone and monsoon seasons are expected while more than 150,000 Rohingyas are reside in areas that would be flooded or collapsed in the rainy season, the statement said.
The joint response plan for the Rohingya Humanitarian Crisis was launched in Geneva on Friday seeking $951 million, added the statement.
The United Nations launched the appeal underscoring that efforts must remain focused on securing the safe return of Rohingyas to their homes in Myanmar.
The appeal was jointly launched by UN High Commissioner for Refugees Filippo Grandi, director general of the International Organisation for Migration William Swing and UN resident coordinator for Bangladesh Mia Seppo.
The appeal for $951 million was launched to assist 13 lakh people including 8,84,000 Rohingyas and 3,36,000 host community members until December.
The appeal included contingency planning for an estimated 80,000 more Rohingyas in the coming months.
Urgent funding is required to meet life-saving and acute humanitarian needs of refugees as well as affected host communities. About 54 per cent of the appeal is for the food security and WASH, shelter and NFI sectors, said the statement.
‘The Rohingya refugee situation in Cox’s Bazar is an acute humanitarian crisis that needs urgent funding to save lives and provide aid that is essential for thousands of people,’ the statement said.
The United Nations in first week of October 2017 launched an appeal for $434 million to meet the life-saving needs of the Rohingya refugees and their host communities for the period between September 2017 and February 2018.
According to United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs financial tracking service till Friday, $321 million funding was received which was 73.9 per cent of $434 million requested by the United Nations.
UN sought the fund as Bangladesh government and international community continue struggling to cope with the situation as over 6.88 lakh Rohingyas have so far entered Cox’s Bazar since August 25, 2017 fleeing violence in Rakhine state of Myanmar.
Want stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up to exclusive daily email
More Stories from Foreign affairs