Myanmar again mobilised army troops along Tambru border at Naikhyangchari in Bandarban district on Monday after a three-day interval creating border tension and panicking Rohingyas staying on no man’s land.
The government put Border Guard Bangladesh on alert to tackle any situation along the border between the two countries, officials said.
UN agencies and international and local NGOs might require over $950 million under Rohingya crisis joint response plan to support forcibly displaced Myanmar nationals and local host community from March to December this year, according to a meeting of national taskforce on Rohingyas held in Dhaka on Monday.
‘The BGB members deployed in the border area are on alert,’ said Border Guard Bangladesh 34-battalion commanding officer Lieutenant Colonel Manjurul Hasan, reports United News of Bangladesh.
There was nothing to be panicked and the border guards were ready to tackle any situation along the Tambru border, he said, adding that the situation along the border was calm.
Bordering Ghumdhum union chairman AKM Jahangir Aziz said that Myanmar Border Guard Police were seen patrolling the area Monday morning.
Earlier on March 2, Myanmar pulled back troops it had mobilised along Tambru border as Bangladesh on March 1 protested against the heavy military deployment violating international conventions.
Over 6,000 Myanmar nationals were staying along zero line of Tambru point of the border fleeing Myanmar military crackdown on the
ethnic minority community with arson, murder and rape in minority Rohingya-dominated villages in northern Rakhine State.
Myanmar military were seen conducting various activities like installing barbed-wire fences and setting up advance technological surveillance equipment along the border, local people said.
In another development, UN bodies and international and local aid agencies told a a meeting of national taskforce on Rohingyas in that they would require $950.8 million for shelters, food, health services and education for forcibly Rohingyas and some support to the local host community in the next 10 months under a joint response plan, said refugee relief and repatriation commissioner Abul Kalam, who attended the meeting.
The proposed joint response structure and aid plan would be finalised by mid-March, officials said.
Some 6,88,000 Rohingyas fled from Myanmar army-led atrocities, what the United Nations denounced as ethnic cleansing, and entered Bangladesh since the beginning of the new influx on August 25, according to UN estimations. Officials estimated that the new influx already took to 11.07 lakh the number of Myanmar people living in Bangladesh.
Foreign secretary M Shahidul Haque presided over the meeting attended by all 28 government and international agencies.
Want stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up to exclusive daily email
More Stories from Foreign affairs