Khaleda arrives in court amid chaos

Staff Correspondent  | Published: 10:36, Feb 08,2018 | Updated: 14:18, Feb 08,2018

Khaleda Zia

Bangladesh Nationalist Party chairperson Khaleda Zia. — New Age file photo

Bangladesh Nationalist Party chairperson Khaleda Zia arrived in the makeshift court at Bakshibazar in the capital Thursday noon amid chaos on her way to the court.

The BNP chief is accompanied by her personal staff. As she entered court in the afternoon, the judge order Khaleda's personal security personnel to go out of the court. 

Khaleda, who left her Gulshan residence around 11:45am amid tight security, became surrounded by hundreds of party leaders and activists in Moghbazar area.

The party men defying police barricade escorted Khaleda’s motorcade up to Chankharpul, our correspondent reports.

Police fired teargas shells at BNP activists around 1:10pm when they reached Kakrail intersection.

Khaleda, however, reached the court around 1:50pm.

Meanwhile, judge Md Akhtaruzzaman of the Dhaka Special Judge’s Court-5 arrived in the court around 10:35am to deliver verdict against six accused including Khaleda Zia and her elder son and BNP’s senior vice-chairman Tarique Rahman and four others — former BNP lawmaker Qazi Saleemul Huq, businessman Sharfuddin Ahmed, former prime minister Khaleda’ ex-principal secretary Kamal Uddin Siddique, and Ziaur Rahman’s nephew Mominur Rahman.

Two accused — Qazi Saleemul Huq and Sharfuddin Ahmed — were brought to the court premises this morning.

Verdict against three other accused —Tarique Rahman, Kamal Uddin Siddique, and Mominur Rahman — would be delivered in their absence.

Ahead of the verdict, the government tightened security across the country arresting several thousand BNP leaders and activists and banning any gathering and procession in Dhaka for today.

A five-tier security was enforced and several hundred police personnel were deployed in and around the court premises.

On January 25, Akhtaruzzaman set today for verdict concluding the hearing in the case filed by the Anti-Corruption Commission on July 3, 2008 during military-controlled interim regime.

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email