Manju for protecting haor areas from early floods

Staff Correspondent . Sylhet | Published: 00:52, Jan 21,2018 | Updated: 00:59, Jan 21,2018

 
 

Newly appointed water resources minister Anwar Hossain Manju on Friday asked Water Development Board officials to be alert so that there is no recurrence of irregularities that led to the boro crop damage during flash floods last year.
‘If necessary, the ministry will be brought to Sunamganj. I will stay here for the next three months to oversee the work of haor protection embankments. But, I do not want to see a repetition of the damage to boro crops,’ the minister said.
Manju made the remarks while addressing an exchange of views with government officials and civil society members at Sunamganj Circuit House at around 10:30pm on Friday.
Stating that the prime minister would be requested to form a taskforce in this regard, he said to WDB officials, ‘You are experts. If you are unable to do the job of constructing protection embankment properly, we will bring in more experts.’
Manju also expressed his dissatisfaction that construction and repair schemes for 675 out of 815 projects were yet to start.
Finance and planning affairs state-minister MA Mannan, water resources ministry secretary Zafar Ahmad Khan, district Awami League president Matiur Rahman and Dakkhin Sunamganj upazila chairman Abul Kalam, among others, addressed the programme.
Acting deputy commissioner Md Emran Hossain presided over the programme that was also attended by local lawmaker Pir Fazlur Rahman Misbah, Yahiya Chowdhury and Shahana Rabbani, officials of the local administration and the WDB.
Anwar Hossain Manju reached Sunamganj on Friday night and visited the haors of Sunamganj around noon on Saturday.  

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email

Advertisement

images

 

Advertisement

images