Sabbir forgets past, looks forward

Staff Correspondent | Published: 00:05, Jan 14,2018 | Updated: 00:40, Jan 14,2018

 
 

Bangladesh batsman Sabbir Rahman arrives for a training session at Mirpur on Saturday.— New Age photo

Bangladesh cricketer Sabbir Rahman said on Saturday that he was trying hard to forget what happened with him in the recent past as the top-order batsman preferred to concentrate on the job in hand in the upcoming tri-nation one-day international tournament.
The Bangladesh Cricket Board on January 1 dropped Sabbir from national contract after he assaulted a cricket fan during a National Cricket League match in Rajshahi on December 21.
The BCB also banned Sabbir for six months from domestic cricket and fined him Tk 20 lakh for the same offence.
‘As a human being it affected my personal life badly,’ Sabbir admitted while speaking to reporters in Mirpur. ‘But, as professional cricketer I thought, past is past. It’s useless to think what happened with me. I’m trying hard to keep the issue away from my professional life.’
‘Now my only concern is how I can serve the national team. As a flag-bearer of the Bangladesh, I wanted to give my best,’ he said.
Sabbir, who has already earned the unwanted tag of Bangladesh cricket’s ‘bad boy’ for his poor on-field and off-the-field actions, is also in danger of getting suspended from international cricket for his poor off-the-field behaviour.
Sabbir is the first cricketer in world cricket to get a demerit point after it was introduced by the International Cricket Council in 2016. He got three demerit points so far and according to the rules, if a player receives four or more demerit points within a 24-month period, his demerit points will be converted into two suspension points, which will equate to a ban from his next match or matches.
Two suspension points equate to a ban from one Test or two ODIs or two T20Is, whatever comes first for the player.
Sabbir, however, said he was not focusing too much on off-the-field issues.
‘I’m focusing on how to perform well in the upcoming series. I’m really not worried over the demerit point issue because currently I don’t want to think any negative issue,’ said Sabbir, who believed he would deliver his best.
Sabbir once established himself in one-down position in the limited over side but a dip in form recently relegated him into down the order and the batting order and the 26-year old batsman accepted the reality.
‘It depends on the decision of team management where I would bat. When I played in the one-down, the situation was different but now I have to play in the fifth, sixth or seventh down. But wherever I play, I will try to play according to the demand of the situation,’ said Sabbir. 

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email

Advertisement

images

 

Advertisement

images