Oscar winning actor Michael Douglas has issued a pre-emptive denial of a sexual misconduct accusation, saying he wanted to get ahead of a potential story being investigated by Hollywood publications.
In a lengthy interview with entertainment industry website Deadline.com, published late on Tuesday, Douglas denied that he had masturbated in front of a woman who worked for him about 32 years ago.
“This is a complete lie, fabrication, no truth to it whatsoever,” Douglas said.
The accusation by the unidentified woman has not been published but Douglas said he had been informed by his attorneys in December that The Hollywood Reporter and other publications were investigating her claim.
“I felt the need to get ahead of this,” Douglas, 73, told Deadline.
“I had the choice of waiting for a story to come out, one that will clearly get picked up by other newspapers and magazines, and then I have to sit there and try to defend myself.”
The double Oscar-winner is the second celebrity to get his version of events out before being publicly accused of sexual impropriety.
Want stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up to exclusive daily email
More Stories from Film