Fourth generation (4G) mobile phone service would be launched in January, 2018, said state minister for the posts and telecommunication ministry Tarana Halim after a meeting on the service at the secretariat on Wednesday.
She said prime minister Sheikh Hasina has approved the revised 4G guidelines addressing all the concerns of mobile phone operators.
She said that the prime minister had already approved the revised guidelines on 4G service and that had already reached to her ministry.
The revised guidelines would be sent to the BTRC today for further action to introduce the service, she said.
She said Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission will now move to hold an auction for spectrum allocation and 4G license.
‘We have taken initiative so that the 4G service could be launched within January, 2018. The government wants to introduce the 4G service as the New Year’s gift,’ she said.
Earlier, the deadline for launching the service was set for a number of occasions but was not possible for a number of reasons, Tarana said.
Initially, internet speed of the service would be 20 Megabyte per second (Mbps) that will be increased by the BTRC gradually, the state minister said.
Speaking about the tech neutrality issue, she said, ‘in case of the conversion in one go, the charge will be $4 million for each 900 MHz and 1,800 MHz, while it will be $7.5 million for converting partly.’
‘A total of 22 issues placed by the operators have been considered fully while one has been partly for the betterment of the industry,’ said Tarana.
As per the new guideline, the operators will have to store subscribers’ usage data for only two years and not 12 years as previously stipulated.
The operators will now have to share 5.5 per cent of their revenues from 4G service with the telecom regulator and the percentage will remain the same for the next 15 years.
Want stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up to exclusive daily email
More Stories from Telecom