Bangladesh

Advertisement

 

Eight people burnt in Demra gas explosion

Staff Correspondent | Published: 00:25, Oct 24,2017 | Updated: 00:27, Oct 24,2017

 
 

Five members of a family and three of their relatives suffered burns in an explosion due to gas leakage at a house in the city’s Demra area early Monday.
Md Alamgir Hossain, 45, his wife Ferdousi Begum, 35, their three sons Emon, 15, Shipan, 12, and Tafin, 02, and relatives Tofayel, 24, Arif, 34, and Ratna, 17, were undergoing treatment at the burn unit of Dhaka Medical College and Hospital, said sub-inspector Bachchu Mia, in-charge of the hospital’s police outpost.
The resident medical officer of the burn unit, Partha Shankar Paul, said that Shipon and Ratna, who suffered 35 per cent and 48 per cent of burns respectively, were in critical condition.
Demra police officer-in-charge SM Kawser said that the explosion took place on first floor of the two-storey building on Al-Amin Road at Konapara around 3:00am.
One of the members of the family switched on a bathroom light that caused a spark, he said, the spark then caused explosion as the house was filled with the gas leaked from the burner.
The police officer said that locals, on hearing the cries of the family members, rushed to the spot, rescued them and took them to DMCH for treatment.

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email

Advertisement

images

 

Advertisement

images