China urges North Korea to stop missile tests, resume talks

Associated Press | Published: 13:31, Aug 06,2017 | Updated: 13:55, Aug 06,2017

 
 
North Korea

North Korean foreign minister Ri Yong Ho, left, poses with his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi for a photo prior to their bilateral meeting in the sideline of the 50th ASEAN Foreign Ministers' Meeting and its Dialogue Partners, August 6, 2017 in suburban Pasay city, south Manila, Philippines. — AP photo

Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi on Sunday urged his North Korean counterpart to abide by UN resolutions and stop provoking ‘the international community’s goodwill’ with missile launches and nuclear tests.

Wang spoke to reporters in Manila after meeting with North Korean foreign minister Ri Yong Ho on the sidelines of a regional meeting, hours after the UN Security Council unanimously approved tough new sanctions to punish Pyongyang for its escalating nuclear and missile programmes.

Wang said the two had an intensive conversation during which China urged North Korea to maintain calm. He said he told Ri ‘do not violate the UN decision or provoke the international community’s goodwill by conducting missile launches or nuclear tests.’

Wang also urged the US and South Korea ‘to stop increasing tensions’ and said that all sides should return to negotiations.

In an earlier statement Sunday, Wang Yi appealed to other governments to resume the six-nation talks that involve the North, the United States, Russia, Japan and South Korea, as well as Beijing.

‘The aim is to bring the peninsula nuclear issue back to the negotiating table and seek a solution through negotiations until the denuclearisation of the peninsula and the stability of the peninsula are achieved,’ Wang said.

North Korea pulled out of the talks in 2009 to protest international condemnation of a long-range rocket launch. Last month, it test-launched two intercontinental ballistic missiles capable of reaching the US mainland.

US secretary of state Rex Tillerson has said Washington wants eventually to talk to North Korea, but thinks discussions would not be productive if Pyongyang comes with the intention of maintaining its nuclear weapons.

Wang’s statement repeated Beijing’s proposal for a ‘double suspension,’ or a halt to North Korean nuclear development and to joint US-South Korean military exercises. It said that was the most reasonable way to ease tensions and create conditions for new talks.

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email

Advertisement

images

 

Advertisement

images