Jahangirnagar University students called off their demonstrations on Friday after the university administration said it would do everything to withdraw charges pressed against 56 students in connection with a reported vandalism incident in the house of the vice-chancellor.
Registrar Abu Bakar Siddiqui in a statement confirmed the university authorities’ decision.
The statement said, ‘The authorities will take necessary steps to withdraw the case.’
The administration also regretted the police attack on students on Dhaka-Aricha Highway in which nine students and a journalist were injured.
Students made their decision early on Friday after a nine-hour discussion with the administration and vice-chancellor Farzana Islam at the senate building.
The meeting started at about 5:00pm on Thursday and ended at about 2:00am on Friday.
Nazmul Hossain, secretary of Jahangirnagar Cultural Alliance, said, ‘We called off our programme as the authorities assured us that they would start processes to withdraw the case.’
Earlier on Thursday, students stopped their sit-in demonstration in front of the vice-chancellor’s office as she had requested them to let the university high-ups enter the administration building for holding a meeting over the upcoming admission tests.
She also assured them to hold another meeting for resolving their problem.
Students started their sit-in demonstration on Monday morning.
On Wednesday, a couple of teachers extended their support to the protesters and at a press conference held at teachers’ lounge of the arts and humanities faculty declared that they were joining the protesters.
Earlier on July 17, four students ended their hunger strike as the university authorities assured them of withdrawal of the case filed by registrar Abu Bakar Siddique.
The case was filed after students took to the streets in protest at deaths of two students in a road accident in front of the university on May 26.
Want stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up to exclusive daily email
More Stories from Country