A tribunal in Sylhet on Wednesday handed down death sentence to three people and seven years imprisonment to two others in the case filed for sensational killing of four children at Bahubal Upazila in Habiganj.
The Divisional Speedy Trial Tribunal judge Makbul Ahsan announced the verdict at noon in presence of Five among eight charge-sheeted accused including two death row convicts, the tribunal sources said.
The death row convicts are Rubel Miah, 18, son of the prime suspect Abdul Ali of Sundratiki village in Bhadeshwar union under Bahubal Upazila in Habiganj, and his neighbour Arzu Miah, 40, and Ustar Ali, 48, who was tried in absentia, the tribunal sources said.
The public prosecutor Kishor Kumar Kar told New Age that the tribunal also
fined Tk 10,000 on each of the death row convicts.
He said that Rubel’s elder brother Jewel Miah, 20, and his cousin Shahed Ali, 35, were sentenced to 7 years rigorous imprisonment and also were fined Tk 5,000 each in the verdict.
‘The tribunal acquitted three charge-sheeted accused—Abdul Ali, 60, and his neighbour Bilal Miah, 35, and Babul Miah, 45, from the charges brought against them,’ the public prosecutor said.
Five arrested accused Abdul Ali, his sons Jewel and Rubel, nephew Shahed and neighbour Arzu were present in the tribunal when the judge delivered the verdict.
The remaining three charge-sheeted accused—Uster, Bilal and Babul—remained absconding since filing of the case, the tribunal sources said.
Counsels of both the plaintiff and the accused sides, however, expressed their dissatisfaction over the verdict in the case.
The plaintiff lawyer Mohammad Lala told the media immediately after announcement of the verdict that the allegation of intentional killing of 4 children was proved undoubtedly against all the charge-sheeted accused during the trial.
‘Capital punishment to each of them was supposed to be handed down in the verdict. There was no scope of acquitting some of them from the charges,” Lala said, adding that they would go to higher court for proper judgment in the case.
On the other hand, the accused persons’ lawyer Shariful Alam also claimed that they would challenge the tribunal’s verdict in the High Court after getting the copy of complete verdict in hand.
Earlier on July 20, the tribunal had concluded the cross examination in the case after recording testimonies of 52 out of 57 prosecution witnesses.
Zakaria Ahmed Shubha, 8, son of Wahid Miah, Shubha’s cousin Tazel Miah, 10, son of Abdul Aziz, and Monir Miah, 7, son of Abdal Miah, of the Sundratiki village and their relative Ismail Hossain, 10, son of Abdul Kadir, were kidnapped on February 12, 2016 following a previous enmity between the victims’ guardians and their neighbour Abdul Ali over ownership of a tree.
Abdal Miah recorded a general diary with the police in this regard on February 14 and also filed a case later.
Their bodies of the four victims were found buried under sands on the bank of Kamaichhari River near the Sundratiki village on February 17.
The investigation officer in the case, Muktadir Hussain, also officer-in-charge of the district detective branch of police, had submitted charge sheet to the court on April 5, 2016 against 9 persons for killing the children.
The Habiganj Woman and Children Repression Tribunal had framed charges in the case against 8 accused on September 7.
The WCRT dropped the named of another charge-sheeted accused Bachchu Miah, 40, an auto-rickshaw driver of the Sundratiki village as he was allegedly killed in an encounter of Rapid Action Battalion on February 29, 2016.
Later on March 25 this year, the case was transferred to the SDSTT for quick judgment.
Want stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up to exclusive daily email
More Stories from Country