Three members of a family were electrocuted as a power supply line, which had caught fire during downpour, collapsed on their tin-shed house in the capital’s Islambagh area on Monday.
The dead are Sharmin Begum, 30, her daughter Arfin, 9, and her mother-in-law Amena Begum, 55.
In another incident of electrocution at Banasree in the city, Md Selim Mia, 22, a resident of Tengra in Netrakona, was also brought dead to Dhaka Medical College Hospital on the day.
Local people said that Sharmin, Arfin and Amena came in contact with a snapped live wire around 11:00am on the first floor of their two-storey house at Islambagh and were critically injured.
Dhaka Medical College Hospital police outpost in-charge Bachchu Mia said that the three were brought to the hospital around 11:30am when on-duty doctors declared them dead.
When the DPDC men went to the area to restore the power line around 12:00am, the locals chased them alleging that the deaths were due to negligence of the authorities concerned, local people said.
The DPDC men again went to the area around 3:00pm and were chased away for a second time.
‘We restored power supply in the area around 8:00pm,’ said DPDC managing director Ramij Uddin Sarker.
The insulator of a wire was burnt during shower and the snapped wire had fallen on the rooftop of the victims’ residence.
The victims were electrocuted when they tried to remove the wire from the rooftop, he said.
In another incident, construction worker Selim, who had also been electrocuted, was declared dead on arrival at DMCH around 5:30pm, said Bachchu Mia.
Quoting Selim’s fellow workers, who brought him to DMCH, Bachchu Mia said that the victim was electrocuted while cutting rods at an under-construction building at Banasree around 4:00pm.
Want stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up to exclusive daily email
More Stories from Country