Jewellers withdraw nationwide strike call

Staff Correspondent | Published: 00:44, May 19,2017 | Updated: 00:58, May 19,2017

 
 

Jewellers last night withdrew nation-wide indefinite shut down of the shops within hours of call from their association, Bangladesh Jewellers Samity, for what it had said in a statement on Thursday evening, in protest against harassment by the National Board of Revenue.
BAJUS office secretary Khalid Akhand told New Age that the association leaders called off the shut down following a satisfactory meeting with Customs Intelligence and Investigation directorate officials that took place in the capital from 8.30 PM to 10 PM.
Earlier in the evening, the strike was given by statement signed by the BAJUS president Ganga Charan Malakar and secretary general Dilip Kumar Agarwal.
The gave the call in a statement to press the demand for business-friendly gold import policy and also in protest against drives launched from time to time against jewellery outlets without any notice.
Jewellers’ association officials said that the decision to call the strike was taken on Thursday afternoon at a meeting of the association’s office at Baitul Mukarram within hours of NBR officials detaining the manager of the New Market branch of Amin Jewellers.

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email

Advertisement

images

 

Advertisement

images