Elephant electrocuted in Sherpur

Staff Correspondent | Published: 11:22, Oct 02,2016 | Updated: 13:27, Oct 02,2016

 
 
Sherpur news, Wildlife

An elephant died at village Pangor of Jhinaigati in Sherpur Saturday night when it fell in electric trap set by the locals to resist elephant herd from damaging their crops.

The locals set live electric wires as traps around their croplands to save those from elephants, said sources in Jhinaigati police. 

A herd of elephants entered the village at night and at one stage, one of the elephants came in touch with the electric wire around 9:30pm and died on the spot, they said. 

Jhinaigati police officer-in-charge Md Mizanur Rahman confirmed that an elephant died at the village but expressed his ignorance about the cause of the death. 

The reason of the death could be known after its post-mortem examination scheduled to be conducted by livestock department on Sunday noon.

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email

Advertisement

images

 

Advertisement

images