Suspect dies in RAB custody

Staff Correspondent | Published: 00:32, Mar 19,2017


A person picked up by the Rapid Action Battalion after a suicide bomb blast inside a battalion installation on Friday died later on the day in battalion custody.
The body of Abu Hanif, 32, of Barguna was sent to Dhaka Medical College morgue at about 5:00pm on Saturday nearly a day after his death, hospital and battalion officials said.
Battalion’s legal and media director Mufti Mahmud Khan told New Age that the man was taken to the battalion at about 4:30pm on Friday in connection with the suicide bombing and then he complained of chest pain, leading the battalion to take him to a nearby hospital where he died after one hour and a half.
Airport police station officer-in-charge Noor-A-Azam Mia said that they received document related to the death Friday morning.
‘The man died at Kurmitola General Hospital at about 5:30pm on Friday,’ he said citing the document the battalion handed over to the police.
RAB-1 commanding officer Sarwar Bin Kashem said that following the blast they lunched drive in the area and captured the man, who complained of ‘chest pain.’
Asked, he said that they were not confirm whether Hanif was directly involved in the attack and he was captured as the battalion learnt a few people were seen fleeing the battalion camp area after the explosion.
The man was, however, not named in the first information report lodged by a battalion member who witnessed the incident.
Battalion’s investigation and forensic wing sub-inspector Rasheduzzaman reported to the police that at least seven other extremists were behind the Friday’s ‘suicide attack.’
Rasheduzzaman witnessed the incident along with few others. In the first information report, he said that he was taking bathe while few others were washing when the blast took place.
The complaint was lodged with Dhaka Airport police station.
Rasheduzzaman said that lance corporal Mizanur Rahman noticed an unknown person intruding into their restricted area at about 1:00pm crossing a wall.
As soon as Mizan asked the youth about the purpose of entering the area, the youth put his right hand on the chest, causing an explosion. ‘We collapsed on the ground,’ said Rasheduzzaman.
He along with five other battalion members — Lance corporal Mizan, constable Arifur Rahman, assistant sub-inspector Abdul Alim, constable Abdur Razzak and Ansar sepoy Julhash Mia — was given medication, the official said.
Mizan and Arif were sent to Combined Military Hospital while Razzak was moved to Kurmitola General Hospital.
Hearing the bang, nearby people from Ashkona hajj camp and nearby market told Rasheduzzaman and others that they saw some ‘seven to eight people fleeing after the blast.’
On Friday, the unidentified youth was blown up in a suicide bombing at a battalion camp inside an under-construction battalion installation, leading authorities to reinforce security at airports and other key point installations.
The police officials said they were struggling to identify the attacker.
‘His hand was blown up. We collected it to take his finger print,’ said Dhaka Metropolitan Police airport zone assistant deputy commissioner Ruhul Amin Sagar.
Counter-terrorism officials said that they would show the picture of attacker to detained suspects for identification.
Following the attack, the DMP’s counter-terrorism and transnational crime unit held an emergency meeting to follow up their measures as the government would host Inter Parliamentary Union conference in Dhaka from March 29.
The authorities beefed up security at the police stations and installations of law enforcement agencies following Friday’s attack.
A man reportedly carrying bomb was shot dead at Khilgaon on Saturday during a ‘regular’ checking on road at about 4:45am, said the officials.
The police restricted movement in front of the police stations, and also seen allowing people entering after frisking.
At Uttara, the police were seen restricting movement. ‘We are asked to stay alert,’ said Dhaka Metropolitan Police Uttara East police station officer-in-charge Abu Bakar Siddique.
Additional security measures were taken at the entry points to Dhaka Cantonment, in front of the naval headquarters and also in front of air force residential area.
Officials of Border Guard Bangladesh said they heightened security measures at its headquarters and all installations.
Battalion officials suspected that it was an extremist attack while Islamic State claimed responsibility for the suicide attack on the security installation that also injured two battalion members.

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email