20 cops withdrawn after former army major’s death in police firing

Our Correspondent. Cox’s Bazar | Published: 19:48, Aug 02,2020 | Updated: 20:30, Aug 02,2020


Sinha Mohammad Rashed Khan.— Collected

The police withdrew all the 20 police personnel of Baharchhara police outpost, including its in-charge sub-inspector Md Liakat, on Sunday, two days inside the death of a retired army major in police firing on Cox’s Bazar-Teknaf marine drive on Friday evening.

Chattogram range deputy inspector general of police Khandaker Golam Faruq confirmed the news and said that the 20 police members were attached to the district police lines.

Retired major of Bangladesh Army Sinha Mohammad Rashed Khan was killed in police firing at a checkpoint on Cox’s Bazar-Teknaf Marine Drive at Shamlapur under Teknaf upazila in Cox’s Bazar Friday night.

Shamlapur police checkpoint is close to Baharchhara police outpost.

Rashed, 36, took early retirement from the army a couple of years ago and had been staying at a resort in Cox’s Bazar for a month for making a documentary.

The home ministry in Dhaka said the ministry formed a three-member committee headed by Cox’s Bazar additional district magistrate Md Shajahan Ali to probe into the incident.

Cox's Bazar police superintendent ABM Masud Hossain told New Age that an on-duty policeman at the checkpoint was acting in self-defence and opened fire as a man in a private car stopped for checking pulled out his gun after an altercation at about 10:30pm.

He said the policemen immediately took him to Cox’s Bazar Sadar Hospital where doctors on duty declared him dead.

Cox’s Bazar Sadar Hospital resident medical officer Shahin Mohammad Abdur Rahman said that the man was brought dead to the hospital Friday night and his body was handed over to police after post mortem examination at about 1:00pm on Saturday.

He said that they found that three bullets pierced the former army major’s chest.

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email