Police suspect extremists’ links

Staff Correspondent | Published: 00:12, Jul 27,2020


The police suspect that extremists were behind an explosion and recovery of bomb-like water bottle at Paltan area in the past two days as district police were instructed to remain alert.

There was an explosion on Friday night at Paltan area where no casualties were reported and a bomb-like object was found at Gulistan on Saturday night.

Paltan police inspector (investigation) Sentu Mia said that a case was filed with the police station over the explosion incident, while they were yet to decide about filing case over the bomb-like substance recovery, which later turned to be a fake one.

He said that DMP Counter Terrorism Unit might take the charge of the investigations in coming days as the incidents might have extremist links.

The incidents took place few days after Dhaka Metropolitan Police commissioner Shafiqul Islam expressed his fear that the police might face attacks from extremists.

Investigators find that explosives used on Friday incident were similar to explosive devices those were used to attack on police before.

DMP bomb disposal unit additional deputy commissioner Rahmat Ullah Chowdhury told New Age that they visited the Paltan spot and recovered explosives.

The devices used to make bomb that exploded on Friday night were almost similar devices used to make improvised explosive device (IED), he said.

Paltan Police Station officer-in-charge Abu Bakar Siddique said that the bomb disposal unit reached the spot on Saturday night and found that the bomb-like object was a plastic bottle wrapped in scotch tape.

He said that when it was opened, it was seen that the substance was full of water.

Miscreants might have done that for creating panic, he suspected.

ADC Rahmat suspected that any group of Neo-JMB might have been linked with the attack, because explosive making patters and devices used were almost similar.

Meanwhile, different units of police, including different districts, were put on alert over the explosion and recovery incidents, police sources said.

Ashraful Islam, deputy commissioner of diplomatic security division, said that they were instructed to remain alert.

Police were repeatedly targeted by extremists as at least five attacks were carried on the force’s members last year.

Serial attacks on police in the capital began on 29 April last year and by August 31, police were attacked five times, according to media reports.

Out of five incidents, five policemen, a community police member, a rickshaw puller and a woman were injured in blasts in three attacks.

The bomb blasts took place at Gulistan, Malibagh and Science Laboratory crossings.

More about:

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email