Dhaka entry, exit restriction still not followed

Shops except pharmacies to be shut by 7:00pm: DMP

Iqbal Mahmud | Published: 00:20, Apr 07,2020


A good number of people continued travelling in and out of the capital on Monday despite the police restriction on such movement.

Police officials said that they were trying to enforce the restriction strictly but people were showing various excuses for their movement risking further deterioration of the coronavirus situation.

The police on Sunday said that they would restrict the entry to and exist from the capital a day after letting thousands of apparel workers be back to their workplaces in Dhaka, Gazipur and Narayanganj, among others areas, amid the nationwide shutdown to limit the spread of the virus.

Meanwhile, DMP deputy commissioner (media) Masudur Rahman said that kitchen markets and super shops would remain open from 6.00am to 7.00pm while neighbourhood and alleyway groceries would remain open till 2.00pm.

After that only pharmacies will remain open, Masudur said.

Dhaka Metropolitan Police’s additional commissioner (traffic) Mafiz Uddin Ahmed said that they had set up check posts at Gabtali, Jatrabari, Demra, Babu Bazar Bridge, 300-Feet Road, Abdullahpur and some other points of entry to the capital.

Cases were filed against a number of vehicles for unnecessary movement, he added.

Visiting Gabtali and Jatrabari, New Age saw that many private cars and motorcycles were moving in and out the capital.

Police said that they were allowing emergency service vehicles to move while subjecting others to queries about why they were on the roads.

Mirpur additional commissioner of police Mahmuda Akhter said that people were citing various reasons for their movement.

‘Some claimed that they were going to hospital for treatment or to visit patients while some said that they were going to receive their salaries. As police cannot immediately verify each claim, it is hard to control such movement,’ she said.

While police were found mainly checking vehicles, pedestrians were easily entering and exiting the city without any restrictions.

Mohammad Jamal was walking into the city from Savar. He was going to Sadargath for his journey to Patuakhali to attend his uncle’s funeral.

Jamal said that he walked into the capital through Gabtali and no police asked him anything about his movement.

Our Narayanganj correspondent reported that only emergency services vehicles moved in the city but many people walked to the capital.

Our Manikganj correspondent reported that few vehicles ran through the area as Paturia Ferry Ghat had only one ferry in operation on Monday.

Want stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up to exclusive daily email