Govt yet to make full list of Rana Plaza casualties, missing people

Staff Correspondent

The government could not yet prepare the full list of those who lost lives or have remained unaccounted for since the Rana Plaza collapse took place two years ago.
The authorities even could not complete the verification of the primary list.
Until now, the authorities confirmed that 100 people were missing since the factory building collapses while the claims relating to 66 other missing persons were still under verification.
A labour ministry official said that ‘the primary list of 166 missing workers’ was sent to 48 deputy commissioners for cross checking in their districts.
Until now, he said, the ministry received verification reports from 34 districts.
He said that a labour ministry report sent to the prime minister’s office last month confirmed that 92 workers from 29 districts were missing.
The status of five workers could not be ascertained, he said.
The official said that the names of three missing workers from Madaripur were in the primary list of the missing but the district  administration found no basis in the claim.
‘After getting the verification reports from the deputy commissioners the names of eight more missing workers would be sent to the PMO soon,’ , labour ministry joint secretary Faizur Rahman told New Age.
A complete list of the missing workers will be available only after receiving the verification reports from 14 remaining districts, he said.
Faiz said that in October, Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association and Dhaka district administration submitted a list of 159 missing workers to the labour ministry.
Later, he said, the Rana Plaza Coordination Committee sent the names of seven more missing workers to the ministry for inclusion on the list of missing workers.
Accordingly, he said, the labour ministry began the verification of 166 missing workers.
Faiz said that the labour ministry will send  the list of workers to the PMO in phases on receiving the verification reports from the DCs.
A PMO official acknowledged the receipt of a list of missing workers from the labour ministry.
The families of victims received no  compensations from the Donor Trust Fund and the Prime Minister’s Fund as government was yet to declare the workers  as dead.
The Rana Plaza collapse on April 24, 2013  killed over 1,100 persons mostly female  workers of garment factories.
The bodies of 845 victims were identified, 291 were buried unidentified and the district administration received claims that 347 more were missing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement